The Town of Canandaigua is celebrating an exciting, event-filled year throughout 2016 in recognition of the town’s 225th Anniversary.
To capitalize on the magnitude of this occasion, the Town Board established a “Special Events Committee” to plan and oversee a number of exciting celebratory events throughout the year for the community to participate in.
These events have been designed to appeal to citizens of all ages and the following is a select list currently in the planning stages:
- Construction of a steamboat float for participation in the 4th of July Parade
- Contrast of old and new with antique and modern agricultural displays at the “Mercantile Building” at the Ontario County Fair on Thursday, July 28th
- Hosting a square-dance on the evening of Friday, October 7th at the Cheshire Fire Hall, in conjunction with the October Tour of Historic Barns and Agricultural Fair on October 8th. The dance will appeal to total novices as well as more skilled square dancers. The Tour of Historic Barns is in memory of Jake Repard, past Town Building Inspector.
- Halloween Trick or Treating Party at Onanda Park “village” on October 29th.
At the Ontario County Fair on Thursday, July 28, in the Mercantile Building, the Agricultural Displays will include the following:
- Waterloo Boy Tractor
- 1949 Farmall Tractor
- Steamboat Float from 4th of July parade and exhibit of pictures of historic steamboats
- County Historian, Preston Pierce’s presentation – “Ontario: Mother of Counties – Cradle of Agriculture”
- Historic barn models constructed by Jake Repard, past Town Building Inspector.
- Fred Goodnow’s presentation “History of Academy Grange Building” (Cheshire Grange)
- Exhibits of old and new agricultural equipment, presented by Ontario County Historical Society and the Ontario County Fair Committee.
- Other exhibits
The City of Canandaigua Fire Department and the Granger Homestead and Carriage Museum are also celebrating their historic 200th Anniversaries. They each will also have displays in the Mercantile Building:
- Granger Homestead and Carriage Museum – agricultural implements and historic carriage
- Canandaigua City Fire Department – historic and modern equipment
Please come, view and celebrate the history with the Town of Canandaigua, City of Canandaigua Fire Department, Granger Homestead and Carriage Museum.
For more information…contact Oksana Fuller at email@example.com or 585-394-2949.